Tuesday, November 24, 2009

M2Eclipse and the case of the missing sources

I overheard Richard complaining the other day that no matter what he did eclipse would not download the source for one of his dependencies. The source was for a third party library that we manually added to archiva but forgot the source the first time around.

I just remembered reading a note about dependency:sources caching unsuccessful requests. The cache is stored in the target directory so using mvn clean will clear it. I can't imagine why you would want this at the artifact level esp when its cached in the target directory. The whole repository manager idea is a ad-hoc solution to solve a fundamental flaw in the approach to artifact management. But I'll leave that for another day.

I assume that a similar thing happens in m2e. So if you Right click on project -> Maven -> Download sources and nothing happens, try doing a project clean first. And see if that helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment